Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Perfect Organisation

I know I write a lot about cystic fibrosis (obviously it features quite heavily in my life) but I've been thinking a lot recently about my career. You know, the one that doesn't exist. That career will hopefully exist at some point in the future, once I get that pesky degree out the way and both the kids are in school.

In considering what kind of career I'd like to have, I've been taking my interests into account. Besides my family, my first love is English. Which explains why I'm studying a BA in English Literature. I enjoy writing and reading, and if I could one day be paid to write I'd be living the dream. Humanitarianism is also something important to me. If I could combine the two, I could happily do that for the rest of my life.

I'm participating in NaBloPoMo this month, and the first prompt asks participants to imagine an amazing brand or organisation they'd love to work with. Well, here's mine.

Imagine an organisation that sends writers to Australian offshore detention centres. Writers who could interview the asylum seekers and refugees seeking Australian protection, who could get to know these people, these families, who could understand where they've come from and where they are currently. Writers who could give these people a voice. Writers who could tell their stories.

Imagine all of these stories in a collection: a website, or even a book. Australian politics have been grossly over interested in asylum seekers and refugees in Australia, and to their detriment. The government has decided to take a hard line when it comes to desperate people seeking refuge. I don't understand it, and the only thing that keeps me going is knowing there are a lot of fellow Australians who don't agree with the government's stance.

Asylum seekers are not the enemy. They are people just like you and me, with educations, families, jobs, skills, hopes and dreams for the future. They are running away from desperate circumstances and the Australian government feels it is right to throw them into detention indefinitely instead of extending a helping hand. We are wealthy with rich resources: more than enough to go around.

I think telling their stories is incredibly important. These people are treated like dirt, like a plague threatening the Australian way of life. Nameless, faceless, the enemy. Let's give them names and faces. Let's show people that we are the same. Let's bring them into the light and welcome them with open arms. Maybe this will change the current fear and hatred they face. Maybe it will convince people to be kinder, to fight for change, and to help asylum seekers.

That is my perfect organisation: writing to enact change and to give a voice to the voiceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...