Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Germs Have Spread!

I didn't post yesterday because germs were attacking me internally and I had to go to bed right away. Seriously, I couldn't stand to be awake, so the minute the kids were in bed I went to bed too. I really needed it...I must have slept for about ten hours. I had a fever and everything hurt. Even my skin hurt where fabric was against it. I took some Panadol and fell asleep as fast as I could, which was pretty fast.

Both the boys have this horrible cold, although I think I have it the worst. Phil's managed to avoid it so far and I really hope he doesn't get it. Felix is pretty much over it now, I think. Even though he had a low fever on Sunday he always insisted that he was fine and didn't feel sick. He still has a bit of a runny nose and the occasional cough but it generally dries up by mid-morning. Aside from that, he is his usual self and running around as normal.

Victor also has a runny nose and has sneezed a few times, but luckily he hasn't started coughing. I have an ear out for it but so far he's in the clear. He's been a bit more tired than usual but aside from that, playing and eating as normal.

It's easy to think that every illness is disaster, especially in the early days with cystic fibrosis. I've come to realise that it's just not the case. Kids with CF are definitely capable of fighting off infections without any assistance: Victor has not required any medication for this summer cold, which is really good. A common misconception is that people with CF have weak immune systems or that they are immunocompromised. The reality is that their immune systems are just as good as anyone else's, unless they have additional conditions as well as CF. The reason that people with CF have to avoid germs as much as they can and why respiratory illness is more serious for them is because of the condition inside their lungs. Inside their lungs is thick, sticky mucus, which they can't expel on their own. (This is why we need to do physio twice a day!). This mucus creates the perfect breeding ground for all sorts of nasty bugs, including opportunistic pathogens that aren't of any concern to healthy people. So if Victor can avoid catching respiratory infections in the first place, then we can avoid them spreading and setting their claws into his lungs, where they will multiply and create permanent lung damage.

Of course, this is real life, where there's just no chance of him living illness-free forever. Three weeks in, and Felix has already brought germs home from school. We knew this would happen, and it's just something you have to deal with. No one can live in a bubble, and it's not fair or practical to even try. We try to do our best with common-sense hygiene. Perhaps we think about it a little more than everyone else does, but it is a big deal for us.

Anyway, here's hoping that this stupid bug leaves us very quickly. I'm feeling a lot better than yesterday, just congested, which is very annoying. Now I'm just going to keep a careful eye on Victor over the weekend...he did have a little fever today, but maybe a good sleep tonight will show it the door.

2 comments:

  1. I'm such a dork, I read the phrase "summer cold" and scrolled to the top to see if this was an old post and then realized Australia is on the other side of the globe. Hope today is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Allison you crack me up! It's summer here, and I'd love a bit of rain! Hope everything's going well for you. I feel better today, just congested....so annoying! The boys seem fine :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...